Storm-affected areas in Bercham closed, movement restricted – Police

IPOH, JUNE 21 -- Police have closed five zones in the disaster area affected by the storm around Bercham and restricted movement in and out to prevent property theft or break-ins to victims' homes in the area. Ipoh District Police Chief Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Muhammad Najib Hamzah said his department was, however, giving flexibility to residents who wanted to go out and enter the affected areas because they wanted to clean the areas around their homes at night. "We will be stricter (restricting movement) at night because there are areas that are affected, including Anjung Bercham, which still has no electricity supply. "If a resident wants to clean their house or belongings at night, we will monitor them. We will ask them if it is really their house because we are also worried that there will be incidents if they clean but in fact they are stealing," he said at a press conference after inspecting the Crime Scene Control Post (PKTK) at Bercham Police Station, here, today. He said that as of 8 am this morning, his department had received 492 reports regarding storm incidents that occurred through Op Bencana and there was no time limit for any victim to make a report. Meanwhile, Muhammad Najib said that so far the value of losses in areas affected by the storm has not yet been determined. Yesterday, Ipoh Barat Member of Parliament M Kulasegaran was reported to have said that the storm that occurred last Friday was considered unusual, affecting more than 200 houses in five areas around Bercham. Kulasegaran, who is also Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Law and Institutional Reform), said the incident, which had never been reported before, was believed to be caused by the 'land-trunk' phenomenon. Among the areas affected are Anjung Bercham Utara, Taman Mujur, Kampung Bercham, Kampung Tersusun Tasek, Taman Pusat Bercham and Taman Indah Sakti. -- BERNAMA

IPOH, JUNE 21 — Police have closed five zones in the disaster area affected by the storm around Bercham and restricted movement in and out to prevent property theft or break-ins to victims’ homes in the area. Ipoh District Police Chief Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Muhammad Najib Hamzah said his department was, however, giving […]

Speaker confirms Hamzah’s position, Muhyiddin’s seat changed

KUALA LUMPUR, june 21 -- Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul confirmed that he has received a letter of notification regarding the position of Larut MP Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin as Opposition Leader. When contacted by Bernama, he also informed that the Dewan Rakyat meeting which begins tomorrow will involve several changes in the seats of MPs. This includes the seat of Pagoh Member of Parliament and Bersatu President Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, which was made at his own request. Based on the seating plan for MPs on the official Parliament website updated to June 19, Muhyiddin is currently placed in Block E in the Dewan Rakyat. Hamzah's position as Opposition Leader remains unchanged at the front row in the opposition bloc and is placed next to Kemaman Member of Parliament and Perikatan Nasional (PN) Chairman Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar. Previously, PAS President Tan Sri Abdul Hadi Awang, during the Reset Malaysia Convention, announced that Hamzah would return to his duties as Opposition Leader. According to the Dewan Rakyat calendar, the Second Meeting of the Fifth Term of the 15th Parliament will take place from June 22 to July 16. -- BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR, june 21 — Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul confirmed that he has received a letter of notification regarding the position of Larut MP Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin as Opposition Leader. When contacted by Bernama, he also informed that the Dewan Rakyat meeting which begins tomorrow will involve several changes in the […]

PM Anwar Announces Subsidised Diesel Price Cut to RM2.10 Per Litre From July

BINTULU, June 21 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today announced that the price of subsidised diesel for Malaysians will be reduced to RM2.10 per litre beginning in July, in a move aimed at easing the cost of living burden on the people. Speaking at an event in Bintulu, Anwar said the reduced diesel price would be implemented nationwide through the use of MyKad, ensuring that the subsidy reaches eligible Malaysian citizens directly. The Prime Minister said the decision reflects the MADANI Government’s commitment to returning the benefits of economic reforms, investment growth and improved national revenues to the rakyat. “Although the world continues to face challenges arising from the global supply crisis, the government has chosen to channel the gains from economic growth back to the people,” he said. Anwar also reaffirmed that the price of RON95 petrol would remain unchanged at RM1.99 per litre. The announcement comes as the government continues efforts to strengthen targeted subsidy mechanisms while protecting the welfare of ordinary Malaysians amid global economic uncertainties. Anwar added that further details on the implementation of the diesel subsidy programme will be announced by Finance Minister II tomorrow. The diesel price reduction is expected to benefit millions of Malaysians and forms part of the government’s broader strategy to balance fiscal reforms with direct assistance for the people. -- MINUTESMY

BINTULU, June 21 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today announced that the price of subsidised diesel for Malaysians will be reduced to RM2.10 per litre beginning in July, in a move aimed at easing the cost of living burden on the people. Speaking at an event in Bintulu, Anwar said the reduced diesel […]

Bangladesh PM makes first official visit to Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, JUNE 21 -- Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman will pay an official visit to Malaysia on Monday to strengthen the close bilateral relations between the two countries and deepen cooperation in areas of mutual interest. The visit was at the invitation of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and was Tarique's first official bilateral visit abroad since taking office in February 2026. According to the Malaysian Foreign Ministry, Tarique will be felicitated at an official reception, followed by a bilateral meeting with Anwar at the Perdana Putra Complex, Putrajaya. "Both leaders are expected to assess the development of Malaysia-Bangladesh bilateral relations and explore further cooperation, particularly in key sectors including trade and investment, human resource management, semiconductors, energy, agriculture and education, in addition to exchanging views on regional and international issues of mutual interest," the statement said. They will also witness the exchange of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cultural Cooperation, as well as two Exchanges of Diplomatic Notes (EoN) in the areas of Counter-Terrorism Research and in the areas of Investment Promotion and Facilitation. Anwar will also celebrate Rahman at an official luncheon. According to the ministry, also known as Wisma Putra, Rahman will be accompanied by his wife Dr. Zubaida Rahman, Foreign Minister Dr. Khalilur Rahman and senior government officials throughout the visit. In 2025, total trade between Malaysia and Bangladesh will reach RM12.18 billion (US$ 2.84 billion). Malaysia's total exports to Bangladesh amounted to RM10.08 billion (US$2.35 billion) with petroleum products being the main item. Total imports from Bangladesh amounted to RM2.10 billion (US$ 0.50 billion) and were largely contributed by textiles, clothing and footwear. Bangladesh is Malaysia's 28th largest trading partner with total trade of RM12.18 billion. Bangladesh is also Malaysia's second largest trading partner, export destination and import source in the South Asian region after India, according to the statement. -- BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR, JUNE 21 — Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman will pay an official visit to Malaysia on Monday to strengthen the close bilateral relations between the two countries and deepen cooperation in areas of mutual interest. The visit was at the invitation of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and was Tarique’s first official […]

Drunk driver, positive for drugs among those arrested in Integrated Ops in Seremban

SEREMBAN, JUNE 21 -- Police arrested 10 men, including four drunk drivers and one who tested positive for drugs, in an Integrated Operation, Ops Samseng and Ops Samseng Jalanan, which was carried out in several locations around the district early this morning. Seremban District Police Chief ACP Mohd Yatim Osman said the operation carried out by the Seremban IPD Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Division (BSPT) from 5pm yesterday to 4am this morning also resulted in the arrest of five individuals believed to be involved in street gang activities. He said 115 individuals and 105 vehicles were checked during the operation at four main locations, namely Jalan Sungai Ujong, Jalan Lingkaran Tengah, Jalan Bukit Kepayang and Jalan Rasah, involving three officers and 24 police personnel. "During the operation, we arrested four men who were driving under the influence of alcohol, one who tested positive for THC and five men believed to be involved in street gangs, all aged between 19 and 30. "As a result of this operation, 78 summonses were issued for various traffic offences, with the highest offence involving no driving licence in 20 cases, followed by expired motor vehicle licences in 15 cases and no insurance cover in eight cases," he said in a statement today. Mohd Yatim said that for Ops Samseng Jalanan, they will be investigated under Section 42(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless and dangerous riding. Four drivers who were arrested for drunk driving are being investigated under Section 45A(1) of the same act after being found to have driven above the permitted alcohol limit, in addition to opening an investigation paper under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 against individuals who tested positive for drugs. Five motorcycles were also seized under Section 64(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987. -- BERNAMA

SEREMBAN, JUNE 21 — Police arrested 10 men, including four drunk drivers and one who tested positive for drugs, in an Integrated Operation, Ops Samseng and Ops Samseng Jalanan, which was carried out in several locations around the district early this morning. Seremban District Police Chief ACP Mohd Yatim Osman said the operation carried out […]

TMJ Questions Federal Revenue Distribution, Says Johor Deserves Larger Share

“The central government is leaking Johor's revenue”: TMJ strongly criticizes the issue of financial sharing --MINUTESMY

JOHOR BAHRU, JUNE 21 — Johor Regent Sultan Tunku Maktota Ismail (TMJ) has strongly disputed Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s recent remarks regarding alleged economic and revenue leakages in Johor, asserting instead that the real issue lies in the distribution of revenue between the federal and state governments. Speaking during a youth engagement session […]