MBSP to fully enforce ban on hawkers at school gates starting 2027

BUKIT MERTAJAM: The Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP) will fully enforce the ban on hawking activities within 40 metres of school fences throughout Seberang Perai starting next year. MBSP Mayor Datuk Baderul Amin Abdul Hamid said the implementation was in line with the Guidelines for Hawking Outside School Fences issued by the Ministry of Housing and Local Government (KPKT) to ensure the safety of students, smooth traffic and food hygiene. "The measure was taken following feedback and complaints received from schools and parents regarding hawking activities outside school gates, particularly involving the sale of unhealthy food and drinks, food hygiene aspects and student safety issues. "Comprehensive enforcement will be implemented starting next year, but until the end of this year we will focus on education, advocacy and voluntary compliance before legal action is taken against hawkers who still fail to comply," he said at a press conference at Sekolah Kebangsaan Bandar Baru Perda, here, today. He said that among the initiatives implemented by MBSP included the installation of signs prohibiting hawking within 40 metres of the school fence, the distribution of information leaflets to hawkers, engagement sessions with the school and local community, as well as regular monitoring by enforcement officers and environmental health officers. Baderul Amin said MBSP also introduced a hawker tracking permit system or "tagging" to record, identify and manage hawking activities in permitted locations more systematically, especially after the implementation of the ban. He said that so far, a total of 554 hawkers have registered under the tagging system and of that total, 194 hawkers have completed the process. "The tagging system, which costs RM60 a month, aims to help hawkers operate more systematically in permitted areas while also facilitating monitoring by local authorities," he said. He said there were 241 schools throughout Seberang Perai and on average around 10 hawkers were doing business around each school, but the actual number was difficult to determine because most of them operated irregularly. He said that MBSP's approach is not solely based on enforcement, but rather aims to find a balanced solution between the economic interests of hawkers and the need to create a safe and conducive school environment. -- BERNAMA

BUKIT MERTAJAM: The Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP) will fully enforce the ban on hawking activities within 40 metres of school fences throughout Seberang Perai starting next year. MBSP Mayor Datuk Baderul Amin Abdul Hamid said the implementation was in line with the Guidelines for Hawking Outside School Fences issued by the Ministry of Housing […]

2026 World Cup: Switzerland, Canada advance to knockout rounds

VANCOUVER, CANADA: Ruben Vargas and Johan Manzambi scored to give Switzerland a 2-1 win over Canada in FIFA World Cup Group B on Wednesday as both teams advanced to the knockout stages, Xinhua reported. Manzambi, 20, who came off the bench to score twice in Switzerland's 4-1 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina on Thursday, dominated the early game against Canada. Assisted by Manzambi, Vargas broke the deadlock early in the second half, when his shot went past the Canadian goalkeeper, hit the post and went over the line. In the 57th minute, Breel Embolo crossed for Manzambi, who finished to make it 2-0. Swiss defender Manuel Akanji praised Manzambi after the match. "We need a player like this who is creative, he sees things that maybe others don't see or can't do." Canada scored again in the 76th minute when Jonathan David scored with his first touch shortly after coming on as a substitute. "We didn't get at least a draw, which means we have to get out of here (Canada) for the next game," said David. "We were a bit disappointed about that. But we scored a lot of goals in all three games, I think we showed a new level of attacking football." Also in Group B, Qatar finished bottom and were eliminated after losing 3-1 to Bosnia and Herzegovina, who are third with four points and still have hopes of reaching the knockout stages. Switzerland will play one of the best third-place teams from Groups E, F, G, I or J in Vancouver in the round of 32. Canada, who need a win or a draw to top the group and remain in action at home, now have to travel to Los Angeles for their next match against the Group A runners-up. -- BERNAMA-XINHUA

VANCOUVER, CANADA: Ruben Vargas and Johan Manzambi scored to give Switzerland a 2-1 win over Canada in FIFA World Cup Group B on Wednesday as both teams advanced to the knockout stages, Xinhua reported. Manzambi, 20, who came off the bench to score twice in Switzerland’s 4-1 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina on Thursday, dominated […]

Magnitude 6.0 earthquake off east coast of Honshu, no tsunami threat to Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, JUNE 25 -- A strong earthquake measuring 6.9 struck an area near the east coast of Honshu, Japan at 6.30 this morning, according to the Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia). MetMalaysia in a statement said the earthquake occurred at coordinates 40.2 degrees North and 142.2 degrees East, approximately 64 kilometres southeast of Hachinohe, Japan. According to the department, the earthquake occurred at a depth of 79 kilometers. Based on MetMalaysia's initial assessment, the earthquake did not pose a tsunami threat to Malaysia. -- BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR, JUNE 25 — A strong earthquake measuring 6.9 struck an area near the east coast of Honshu, Japan at 6.30 this morning, according to the Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia). MetMalaysia in a statement said the earthquake occurred at coordinates 40.2 degrees North and 142.2 degrees East, approximately 64 kilometres southeast of Hachinohe, Japan. […]

Government committed to strengthening Islamic finance ecosystem, attracting Russian investors to Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR, JUNE 25 -- The government, in collaboration with the Securities Commission Malaysia (SC), remains committed to developing a comprehensive Islamic finance ecosystem to attract investors, especially from Russia, to invest in the Islamic finance sector in Malaysia. The Ministry of Finance said the SC has spearheaded several cross-border strategic initiatives, including a planned exploratory visit to the Central Asian region in 2026 or 2027 under the internationalisation agenda of the Islamic capital market (PMI). It aims to assess market readiness, strengthen stakeholder networks and develop an Islamic finance ecosystem that connects Malaysia with the region, including Russia. According to the ministry, Malaysia also has the opportunity to expand the export of sharia expertise following the interest shown by the Head of the Republic of Tatarstan in May 2025 to adopt Malaysia's Islamic finance development model. "This opportunity includes the provision of professional services such as sharia advisory services, consulting, training and capacity building. "The effort was supported through a series of bilateral meetings held by the SC with the Central Bank of Russia and The Saint Petersburg International Mercantile Exchange (SPIMEX) in 2023 and 2025," he said in a written reply on the Dewan Rakyat website, on Wednesday. The ministry was responding to a question from Wan Ahmad Fayhsal Wan Ahmad Kamal (PN-Machang) regarding the government's concrete steps to encourage investors from Russia to invest in the Islamic finance sector in Malaysia in an effort to strengthen Malaysia's position as a global Islamic finance hub and attract foreign capital flows based on sharia principles. In addition, the Ministry of Finance announced that the SC will continue to strengthen Malaysia's competitiveness through strengthening the regulatory framework, product innovation and expanding international cooperation, under the Capital Markets Master Plan 2026–2030 (CMP 2026–2030). He said the government always welcomes legitimate and productive investments from Russia, subject to domestic laws and relevant international standards. "Overall, Malaysia's proactive approach not only aims to attract foreign capital flows, but also acts as a bridge connecting Russian investors with global markets in a sustainable, transparent and inclusive financial ecosystem in line with the principles of Maqasid al-Syariah," he said. -- BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR, JUNE 25 — The government, in collaboration with the Securities Commission Malaysia (SC), remains committed to developing a comprehensive Islamic finance ecosystem to attract investors, especially from Russia, to invest in the Islamic finance sector in Malaysia. The Ministry of Finance said the SC has spearheaded several cross-border strategic initiatives, including a planned […]

Three including teenager arrested, over RM120,000 worth of drugs seized

IPOH: Police successfully busted a drug trafficking syndicate and seized ketamine and suspected Erimin 5 pills worth more than RM120,000 following a raid on a house in Pengkalan Tiara here, last Monday. Perak Police Chief Datuk Mohd Alwi Zainal Abidin said that in the operation at 8.45pm that night, two men and a local woman aged 17 to 43 were arrested. He said the raid was carried out by the Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department (JSJN) of the Perak Police Contingent (IPK) Headquarters based on intelligence information regarding drug trafficking activities in the area. "The police seized one transparent plastic package and nine transparent plastic packets, each containing suspected ketamine with an estimated weight of 1,001 grams. "Also seized were 350 pieces of aluminium foil, each piece containing 10 pills suspected to be Erimin 5 with an estimated weight of 1,100 grams. The total value of the drugs seized is estimated to be RM120,050," he said in a statement last night. Mohd Alwi said urine tests found that one of the suspects tested positive for ketamine, while the other two tested negative for the drug. He said the syndicate was believed to have been active for almost two years and the seized drugs were suspected of being distributed in the state. He said the first suspect was remanded for four days starting yesterday and the third suspect was remanded for six days until June 28, while the remand application for another suspect was rejected by the Ipoh Court Magistrate. The case is being investigated under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952. Meanwhile, Mohd Alwi said, a total of 8,721 individuals were arrested for drug offences throughout Perak from January to last month. "This success is the result of continuous cooperation between the community and enforcement agencies, especially the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM)," he said. -- BERNAMA

IPOH: Police successfully busted a drug trafficking syndicate and seized ketamine and suspected Erimin 5 pills worth more than RM120,000 following a raid on a house in Pengkalan Tiara here, last Monday. Perak Police Chief Datuk Mohd Alwi Zainal Abidin said that in the operation at 8.45pm that night, two men and a local woman […]

UNHCR card holders are not eligible to have a driving licence – Kelantan JPJ

KOTA BHARU, JUNE 25 -- The Kelantan Road Transport Department (JPJ) insists that the Rohingya ethnic group is not eligible to have a driving licence in this country due to their status as refugees, said its director, Mohd Misuari Abdullah. He said that the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) card held by the group in question is not an official identification document that qualifies them to apply for a driving licence. He said, however, throughout the enforcement operations, his party had never detected any Rohingya citizens with valid driving licenses. On the other hand, Mohd Misuari said that the modus operandi often used by this group when detained at roadblocks is to present their UNHCR card to gain sympathy in order to escape. He also dismissed allegations about the existence of a syndicate that helped these foreigners obtain legal driving licenses. "Intelligence results have found that no such documents or syndicates have been detected in Kelantan so far," he told Bernama recently. To prevent this issue from continuing to spread, Kelantan JPJ is currently intensifying enforcement operations continuously in several focus locations around Kota Bharu, Ketereh, Melor, Pasir Tumboh and Tanah Merah. He said that a total of 576 vehicles driven by foreigners had been inspected so far this month, with 457 of them seized and 908 summonses issued for various offences under the Road Transport Act 1987. "JPJ Kelantan also issued a stern warning to local residents who rent out or allow their vehicles to be used by Rohingyas without a license," he said. Mohd Misuari said the owner of the vehicle involved will no longer just be compounded, but will instead be brought to court under Section 23(2) of the Road Transport Act 1987. "Kelantan is now among the earliest states to take the approach of taking vehicle owners directly to court for the sake of public safety and more effective enforcement of road laws," he said. Previously, approximately 85 percent of foreigners who were taken into action in the Foreigner Guide Operation in Kelantan from last January to June 18 were of the Rohingya ethnic group. The results of monitoring and enforcement carried out found that the majority of them were detected driving without a valid license in addition to committing various other offences under the Road Transport Act 1987. -- BERNAMA

KOTA BHARU, JUNE 25 — The Kelantan Road Transport Department (JPJ) insists that the Rohingya ethnic group is not eligible to have a driving licence in this country due to their status as refugees, said its director, Mohd Misuari Abdullah. He said that the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) card held by the […]