Prosecution’s Appeal In Nhaveen Murder Case Struck Out By Federal Court

PUTRAJAYA, June 19 -- The Federal Court today struck out the prosecution's notice of appeal against the acquittal of a man on a charge of murdering bullying victim T. Nhaveen nine years ago.  A three-member Federal Court bench led by Datuk Nordin Hassan made the ruling after Deputy Public Prosecutor Allan Suman Pillai informed the court that the notice of appeal could not be served personally on S. Gopinaath, 35, who resides in Penang, as the respondent could not be located. “This is the fifth time the prosecution has attempted to serve the notice of appeal. I seek further directions from the court,” said Allan. Also sitting on the bench were Datuk Seri Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera and Datuk Azimah Omar. The prosecution had appealed against the Court of Appeal's decision on Jan 13, 2025, to acquit Gopinaath of murdering Nhaveen, who was 18 at the time, at a park along Jalan Bunga Raya between 11 pm and midnight on June 9, 2017. Gopinaath was charged in 2021, four years after the incident, while the prosecution's seventh witness was testifying during the trial. The Court of Appeal also ordered four men - J. Ragesuthan and S. Gokulan, both now aged 27, as well as two others who were juveniles at the time of the incident - to enter their defence on a murder charge after allowing the prosecution's appeal against the Penang High Court's decision on Oct 3, 2023, to discharge and acquit them. The appellate court also remitted the case to the Penang High Court for the four men to enter their defence. The four were further ordered to enter their defence on a charge of causing injury to Nhaveen's friend, T. Previin, near the Karpal Singh Learning Centre along Jalan Kaki Bukit, Gelugor, between 11 pm and midnight on June 9, 2017. Case management has been fixed for July 3 at the Penang High Court to set trial dates. Nhaveen sustained serious injuries after being assaulted by a group of youths in an incident along Jalan Kaki Bukit, Gelugor. He was admitted to Penang Hospital but died six days later.  His friend, Previin, was also reportedly assaulted by the same group with motorcycle helmets but managed to escape and seek help. -- BERNAMA

PUTRAJAYA, June 19 — The Federal Court today struck out the prosecution’s notice of appeal against the acquittal of a man on a charge of murdering bullying victim T. Nhaveen nine years ago. A three-member Federal Court bench led by Datuk Nordin Hassan made the ruling after Deputy Public Prosecutor Allan Suman Pillai informed the […]

Abuse Of Power Probe: Rafizi Gives Statement At MACC Hq

PUTRAJAYA, May 4 -- Former Economy Minister Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli arrived at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters today to provide his statement on a probe into abuse of power and graft in a RM1.1 billion semiconductor deal with the United Kingdom firm ARM Limited. The Pandan Member of Parliament arrived at 9.31 am. Before entering, Rafizi told reporters he would give his full cooperation to the investigation. On Saturday, MACC senior investigation director Datuk Mohd Hafaz Nazar said the case is being probed under Section 23 of the MACC Act 2009 for the misuse of position or authority for gratification. According to him, 22 statements have been taken, including from ministers and senior officials across several government agencies, since the investigation started on Feb 13, 2025. Mohd Hafaz said the anti-graft body recorded statements from Rafizi's former aide Chai Jin Shern, better known as James Chai, for three consecutive days starting Tuesday last week. -- BERNAMA

PUTRAJAYA, May 4 — Former Economy Minister Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli arrived at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters today to provide his statement on a probe into abuse of power and graft in a RM1.1 billion semiconductor deal with the United Kingdom firm ARM Limited. The Pandan Member of Parliament arrived at 9.31 am. […]

Trailer Driver Charged With Murder Of Three In Segamat Crash

SEGAMAT, April 7 -- The trailer driver involved in the fatal crash that claimed the lives of three family members at KM212 of the Johor Bahru–Seremban Road, near the Taman Golden Hill junction in Gemas Baharu last week, was charged at the Magistrate’s Court here today. The accused, Muhamad Shafiq Salleh, 29, nodded in understanding as the charge was read before Magistrate Amalina Johar. No plea was recorded, however, as the case falls under the jurisdiction of the High Court. According to the charge sheet, the accused is alleged to have caused the deaths of K Myakrishnan, 72, his wife S Sevendai, 65, and Sevendai’s brother S Palamiandy, 75, at the location at 3.50 pm on April 2. He was charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code, which carries the death penalty or imprisonment of 30 to 40 years. If the death penalty is not imposed, the convicted person must also be sentenced to a minimum of 12 strokes of the cane. No bail was offered to the accused, and the court set May 21 for a case mention to allow for the submission of post-mortem, medical, forensic, pathology and Puspakom reports. Deputy public prosecutor Nur ‘Aina Muhammad Ismail Tadj appeared for the prosecution, while the accused was unrepresented. Three people, including a married couple, were killed in the accident, while two others were injured after a trailer collided with the rear of the van carrying the victims at the Taman Golden Hill junction in Gemas Baharu. Earlier, Transport Minister Anthony Loke directed the Road Transport Department (JPJ) and the Land Public Transport Agency (APAD) to conduct an immediate audit and investigation into the trailer operator. Loke said strict action must be taken, including holding the company accountable for failing to monitor its driver’s conduct, noting that the driver tested positive for methamphetamine.

SEGAMAT, April 7 — The trailer driver involved in the fatal crash that claimed the lives of three family members at KM212 of the Johor Bahru–Seremban Road, near the Taman Golden Hill junction in Gemas Baharu last week, was charged at the Magistrate’s Court here today. The accused, Muhamad Shafiq Salleh, 29, nodded in understanding […]