Penang Police Rescue Cameroonian Woman, Raid Four Scam Call Centres

GEORGE TOWN, July 17 -- Penang police have rescued a 25-year-old Cameroonian woman allegedly held captive and exploited, while dismantling four call centres believed to be linked to non-existent investment scams in separate raids across Seberang Perai Tengah (SPT) and Timur Laut yesterday. Its chief Datuk Dennis Lim Kwang Keng said the first operation was conducted at a premises in Jalan Utara, Berapit, Bukit Mertajam at 7 pm following a report from a representative of the Cameroon community in Malaysia regarding the woman. “Police rescued the victim and arrested a Taiwanese man believed to be her employer and the operator of the activity. A total of 29 foreigners, including nine women, were also detained after failing to produce valid travel or identification documents,” he said in a statement today. Preliminary investigations found that the victim was allegedly brought from Cambodia to Malaysia through an illegal route after being deceived by a job offer. She was also denied wages for a year, with her movements restricted and passport withheld by the syndicate. Lim said the victim was only allowed to use her mobile phone once a day before she managed to contact her family in Cameroon for assistance. The Taiwanese man was detained under Section 12 of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007 (ATIPSOM), while 28 foreigners were detained under Section 6(1)(c) of the Immigration Act 1959/63. Police also seized several mobile phones and other items. Meanwhile, Lim said a separate operation by the Timur Laut District Police Headquarters (IPD) Criminal Investigation Division and Commercial Crime Investigation Division resulted in the arrest of 80 individuals linked to four call centres allegedly operating non-existent investment scams. The raids were conducted at premises in Taman Pantai Batu, Tanjung Bungah; Villa Moonlight Bay, Batu Ferringhi; Taman Bukit Dumbar, Gelugor; and Jalan Sungai Kelian here. Those detained comprised a local man and 79 foreigners from China, Vietnam and Cambodia. “Preliminary investigations found that the premises had been operating for more than a month and were used as living quarters for syndicate workers recruited through online platforms or agents before being brought to Malaysia. “They were offered jobs as customer service officers with salaries ranging from RM3,200 to RM5,000 a month to contact and persuade victims to join non-existent investment schemes,” he said. Lim said police also seized mobile phones and other items believed to have been used in the scam operation following intelligence gathering and surveillance conducted over several weeks. The cases are being investigated under Section 420 and Section 120B of the Penal Code, Section 6(1)(c) of the Immigration Act 1959/63 and Regulation 39(b) of the Immigration Regulations 1963. All suspects have been brought to court to obtain remand orders to assist investigations. -- BERNAMA

GEORGE TOWN, July 17 — Penang police have rescued a 25-year-old Cameroonian woman allegedly held captive and exploited, while dismantling four call centres believed to be linked to non-existent investment scams in separate raids across Seberang Perai Tengah (SPT) and Timur Laut yesterday. Its chief Datuk Dennis Lim Kwang Keng said the first operation was conducted […]

Guangzhou International Arbitration Court Opens Vietnam Liaison Office to Support China-Vietnam Cross-Border Dispute Resolution

HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam, June 12 -- The Guangzhou Arbitration Commission (GZAC) has officially opened the Vietnam Liaison Office of the Guangzhou International Arbitration Court in Ho Chi Minh City, marking a new step in strengthening China–Vietnam arbitration cooperation and supporting businesses engaged in cross-border commerce and investment. The launch comes as economic ties between China and Vietnam continue to deepen. Bilateral trade exceeded US$250 billion in 2025, with Vietnam remaining China's largest trading partner within ASEAN. Under the Belt and Road Initiative, cooperation between the two countries has expanded across sectors including renewable energy, digital economy, infrastructure and cross-border investment. As commercial exchanges increase, so does demand for efficient, predictable and enforceable dispute resolution services. The Vietnam Liaison Office is designed to respond to this growing need by providing businesses with easier access to arbitration-related information, procedural guidance and dispute resolution support. Speaking at the opening ceremony, Mark Feldman, President of the Guangzhou International Arbitration Court, said the office reflects GZAC's commitment to providing arbitration services closer to users and supporting the evolving needs of companies operating across borders. Located in Ho Chi Minh City, the office will serve as a regional platform for Chinese and Vietnamese businesses seeking professional dispute resolution services. It will draw on GZAC's experience in international arbitration, digital dispute resolution and cross-border case administration. GZAC has continued to expand its international presence in recent years. In 2025, it handled 877 foreign-related cases with a total disputed amount exceeding US$1.8 billion. Parties came from 22 countries and regions, while the institution has served users from 67 jurisdictions worldwide. Nearly 40 percent of the members of its current arbitration committee are foreign nationals or professionals from Hong Kong and Macao, representing six jurisdictions. GZAC is also a pioneer in digital dispute resolution. As one of the first official global partners of the APEC Collaborative Framework for Online Dispute Resolution (APEC-ODR), it operates an online dispute resolution platform that integrates negotiation, mediation and arbitration services. The platform supports real-time translation in eight languages and has handled more than 1,000 cases involving claims exceeding RMB10 billion. Through its Vietnam Liaison Office, GZAC plans to deepen engagement with arbitration institutions and legal service providers across Vietnam and ASEAN, contributing to a more efficient environment for cross-border trade and investment. -- PRNewswire -- Source: Guangzhou Arbitration Commission (GZAC)

HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam, June 12 — The Guangzhou Arbitration Commission (GZAC) has officially opened the Vietnam Liaison Office of the Guangzhou International Arbitration Court in Ho Chi Minh City, marking a new step in strengthening China–Vietnam arbitration cooperation and supporting businesses engaged in cross-border commerce and investment. The launch comes as economic ties between China […]

Assistant Manager Loses RM163,500 To Online Investment Scam

NILAI, May 20 -- An assistant manager at a private company lost RM163,500 after allegedly falling victim to a non-existent stock investment scheme promoted on social media in March. Nilai police chief Supt Johari Yahya said the local woman, in her early 40s, lodged a police report at 6.33 pm yesterday after realising she was duped by the syndicate. He said the victim, who lives in Kajang, told police she had been dealing with an unknown individual on Facebook who offered a stock investment scheme promising lucrative returns. The victim was instructed to download an application known as 'AB Limited' onto her mobile phone before making several fund transfers to bank accounts provided by the suspect. "She realised she had been scammed after repeated attempts to withdraw the purported profits through the application failed," he said in a statement here today. Johari said the case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating and efforts are underway to trace the suspect. He advised the public to verify investment offers with the relevant authorities before participating in any scheme and to refrain from sharing banking information with unknown individuals. -- BERNAMA

NILAI, May 20 — An assistant manager at a private company lost RM163,500 after allegedly falling victim to a non-existent stock investment scheme promoted on social media in March. Nilai police chief Supt Johari Yahya said the local woman, in her early 40s, lodged a police report at 6.33 pm yesterday after realising she was […]

IBM, Micron, Boeing Among 22 US Firms Backing Malaysia’s Green Transition — NRES

PUTRAJAYA, May 12 — IBM, Micron and Boeing are among 22 United States (US) companies supporting Malaysia’s green transition through strategic cooperation with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Sustainability (NRES). The commitment was conveyed during a meeting today between Minister of Natural Resources and Environmental Sustainability Datuk Seri Arthur Joseph Kurup and a […]